22 May 2010

May 22

Reference links:
Old Testament

We start 2 Samuel today, but it's not really any different than 1 Samuel, so no new overview.

David learns of Saul's death from a lying Amalekite, or, at least, he seems like he is lying compared to the previous account of Saul's death. This may be another case of different narratives smooshing together.
“How do you know Saul and Jonathan are dead?” David demanded of the young man.
The man answered, “I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and there was Saul leaning on his spear with the enemy chariots and charioteers closing in on him. When he turned and saw me, he cried out for me to come to him. ‘How can I help?’ I asked him.
“He responded, ‘Who are you?’
“‘I am an Amalekite,’ I told him.
“Then he begged me, ‘Come over here and put me out of my misery, for I am in terrible pain and want to die.’
“So I killed him,” the Amalekite told David, “for I knew he couldn’t live. Then I took his crown and his armband, and I have brought them here to you, my lord.”
David has the Amalekite killed for killing Saul and mourns Saul's death.

The rest of today's reading sets up what I am sure are going to be exciting times ahead. David is recognized as king by some folks, but other folks recognize Saul's son, Ishbosheth, as king.

New Testament

I think I may have just about given up on commenting on the Gospel of John. How can John's Jesus say so little in so many words? I will be happy when we are done with this gospel.

Psalms and Proverbs

Today's psalm (actually, a continuation of yesterday's psalm) apparently is the source of some familiar lines that I never knew were from the same place:
The stone that the builders rejected
has now become the cornerstone.
This is the day the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment