19 April 2010

Apr 19

Reference links:
Old Testament

More geography plus designation of the cities of refuge. Of vague interest, relative to the rest,
This was the homeland allocated to the clans of the tribe of Simeon. Their allocation of land came from part of what had been given to Judah because Judah’s territory was too large for them. So the tribe of Simeon received an allocation within the territory of Judah.
New Testament

Jesus steals/borrows a donkey to ride into Jerusalem. His followers praise him. The Pharisees do not like that. He claims that if they did not rejoice, the rocks would. Jesus weeps over Jerusalem. Jesus clears people out of the Temple and starts teaching there.

I think the bit about the fall of Jerusalem is often considered some sort of prophecy, but the effect is rather dulled when you consider that Luke was almost certainly written after the destruction of the Temple.

Psalms and Proverbs

Cheery psalm today. Here's a representative excerpt:
I have been sick and close to death since my youth.
I stand helpless and desperate before your terrors.
Your fierce anger has overwhelmed me.
Your terrors have paralyzed me.
They swirl around me like floodwaters all day long.
They have engulfed me completely.
You have taken away my companions and loved ones.
Darkness is my closest friend.
I do like the first of today's psalms:
Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment