25 October 2010

Oct 25

Reference links:
Old Testament

Jeremiah predicts things about other countries: Things will not go well for Moab. The Ammonites will suffer and be restored. Edom will be destroyed.

This is one of those readings that make me wonder what the point of including it was. It was probably just included because Jeremiah was considered an awesome prophet, so all of his prophecies had to be saved. Even the tedious ones.

New Testament

We finish 2 Timothy today. After the author gives some advice to the recipient (nothing particularly new), the letter contains a number of personal touches. In particular,
Timothy, please come as soon as you can. Demas has deserted me because he loves the things of this life and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus has gone to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Bring Mark with you when you come, for he will be helpful to me in my ministry. I sent Tychicus to Ephesus. When you come, be sure to bring the coat I left with Carpus at Troas. Also bring my books, and especially my papers.
On the one hand, personal touches make a letter sound more authentic. And it would make sense for Paul to make more personal requests of an individual than a whole church. But still, this passage has a "the lady doth protest too much" feel to it.

Psalms and Proverbs

Move proverb meta commentary. Employers should be careful about who they fire. Fools repeat their foolishness. But fools are still better off than those who think they are wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment